Monday, February 11, 2013

Salmon and sauce bérnaise


Last days have been so busy that I haven't found time to post anything here but I try to make it up a little bit. I have continued spoiling myself, saying yes to everything I love (or almost). For instance the other day I discovered this fantastic flower shop where I just couldn't resist to buy a very girly pink bouquet.

Then I went to see the new franco-estonian film of Ilmar Raag "Eestlanna Pariisis". I was expecting to see some other Estonians in the cinema but in reality there were more French older ladies (like Jeanne Moreau) and estophiles than real Estonians. The people next to me looked me suspiciously, guessing I might be the only representative species. I just couldn't stop smiling during the film. It was full of typically Estonian details, like taking your shoes off when you enter the apartment, wandering around in a big city, not saying hello when meeting somebody (or saying with a strong accent "Bonnzhuur"), etc.
And yesterday I visited a last retrospective of Salvador Dali in Pompidou. I have never seen so many people in an exhibition. A real traffic jam. But it was worth it.
But between cinema, theatre and museums I have also cooked some new dishes. Some of them my favorates so far. Like the salmon we made on Friday. A little tip for cooking salmon on a barbecue. In order to get a regular lines on the salmon, place it first on the direction of ten o clock and then on the direction of ten minutes (did anybody understand?).
It was served with a really crispy potato rösti that you can't really see very well on the photo and sauce Bérnaise. Everything went well until I started to heat up the Bérnaise. Until then I had followed scrupulously all steps of sauce Bérnaise:
1. Cut half onion (échalote: not any other type onion) as thin as you can. Cook it with 1 teacup of water, one branch of fresh estragon and half tea cup of white vinegar until all liquid is evaporated.
2. Add two egg yolks and 2 soup spoons of cold water.
3. Start whipping eggs (forming 8s) and onion on a very light fire (almost no heating). Don't stop whipping even for a couple of seconds. It is very important not to overheat the eggs while whipping (not over 70 degrees). Otherwise you will get scrambled eggs. You can even take it off the fire.
4. When the eggs are getting whiter and airy, take the preparation off the fire and start adding about one teacup of clarified butter while continuing whipping. It is important to add the liquid butter very slowly.
5. At the end add some chopped herbs (f.e ciboulette). I did everything right and then at the end I heated it up and ruined everything. So tip for future. Better eat a bit colder that heat it up too long time. To be continued ...

1 comment:

mercredi said...

Great reading, thank you!